TERMS and CONDITIONS
The Delaware & Ulster Railroad, is operated by the Catskill Revitalization Corporation, a not-for-profit 501c3 educational organization. Our train excursions and our charters are a major fund-raising activity to support our operations, maintenance and rail preservation projects. We also accept donations, to support our operations and projects, and you can find more information on our website at Donations.
- Many of the individuals supporting the Delaware & Ulster train operations are volunteers, we are always accepting new individuals to both volunteer or help us financially support our railroad. We also have paid staff for the maintenance of our tracks, infrastructure, locomotives and rolling-stock, and your donations and operations support generate revenues to cover their salaries and wages. You can find information at Volunteers on our website.
- Our trains run rain or shine.
- All schedules, timetables and event amenities and offerings may be altered by the Delaware & Ulster Railroad at any-time due to railroad logistics, late departures, mechanical substitutions or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Delaware & Ulster Railroad reserves the right to revise terms, conditions, disclaimers and notices at any time, as required to support the operations of the railroad.
- Our passenger train operations take place at a working railroad facility. Please be mindful of your safety and the safety of your guests. Watch your step, be mindful of moving railroad equipment, uneven surfaces or bad footing, and pinch points for fingers, arms and limbs. Do not walk on the railhead and obey instructions from train crew at all times.
- Your presence and participation indicate that you, as ticket holder, ticket purchaser, guest, passenger, crew, or vendor accept the limits of liability from inherent risks of all activities and operations.
- We reserve the right to substitute motive power or rolling stock as necessary.
- Please wear sturdy, comfortable shoes – DO NOT wear flip-flops, sandals, open-toed or high-heel shoes may not be suitable in walking in areas beyond our railroad stations or passenger cars.
- Some of our trains have open cars and windows, and we would ask that you refrain from placing your hands, arms or other parts of your person outside of the train car. Many areas along our railroad have trees or overgrowth, and we want you to have a safe and pleasant experience riding our trains. This suggestion would also apply to riding on our streamlined equipment, that may have open vestibule “dutch doors.”
- Boarding and detraining sites may well have uneven footing, large heavy gravel, unusually high steps- sometimes as much as 20-inches, and walking is required at all locations; we will endeavor to have step boxes to assist in boarding and exiting our trains.
- Passengers with limited mobility need to be aware of these limitations, should expect such situations and should contact our Stationmaster at Arkville at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 586-3877.
- Ticket Agent for advance planning and accommodations.
- You are welcome to bring along your own food and beverages on Excursion Train, we would ask that you limit it to small coolers. We would ask that you refrain from bringing large coolers (usually with two handles) due to space limitations.
- Trains to run rain or shine.
- Smoking is prohibited under New York State law’s governing railroads and public transportation, that passengers refrain from smoking or using other smoking devices for safety and health concerns on our trains, at our stations and platforms. Your cooperation with this policy ensures that everyone has a pleasant and safe visit to our railroad.
- At certain times the Delaware & Ulster Railroad may operate a coal-burning locomotive, that often produces cinders that fly through the air and may fall on clothing or yourself. You must expect that they may experience soot, cinders and smoke while riding on one of our trains operated with a steam locomotive.
- Delaware & Ulster Railroad cannot guarantee the security of cameras and other personal property – you must keep track of your own belongings.
- Seats are not assigned in our cars. Passengers who desire to sit together must make reservations at the same time and present themselves at the station prior to boarding, so our conductors can assist you with sitting on the train together. Every effort will be made to work with your group to seat everyone together.
- We will also gladly accept reservations for our Dining Car service, and ask that you provide at least 72-hour notice, if you would like reservations.
- On busy days, we may not be able to provide a private table. In the true style of railroad dining cars, you may be sharing a table with passengers they have not met before their trip with us. We hope this will allow you the opportunity to make new friends.
- Most of the passenger cars used on these trains were built in the 1940’s and earlier, decades before ADA handicap considerations were implemented on railroad passenger cars. These historic cars mostly have narrow hallways, narrow doorways, small restrooms and these can present many handicapped persons with insurmountable challenges. Cars used on excursions are historic in nature and may be subject to mechanical issues, which while possible are nevertheless uncommon.
- If you are traveling in a wheelchair or other such device, you are responsible for providing any person(s) necessary to assist in loading, unloading or onboard mobility and they must have the proper ticket.
- No merchandise vendors allowed on our trains or stations unless specifically authorized by Delaware & Ulster Railroad in advance. Every effort will be made to operate trains as advertised but at times, train operations maybe impacted by under foreseen conditions, including weather or mechanical impacts. or cancellations.
- Payment is due at the time of reservation; we would recommend that your purchase your tickets on-line at our website.
- We will accept reservations by telephone, but credit card information for your payment will be requested and processed at the time of your telephone call. We will also request your telephone number, mailing address and email contact information.
- Cancellation of reservation, our refund policy will apply to your transaction, but we will consider waiving the cancellation fees, if you re-book your trip to another date with us, through our stationmaster.
Refunds on Excursion Tickets
- Our refund policy applies to all tickets by the Delaware & Ulster Railroad or events sponsored by the Friends of the Delaware & Ulster Railroad.
- Refunds are subject to a 10% service charge, and or other fees that may be assessed by your credit card company.
- The Delaware & Ulster Railroad reserves the Right of Refusal to any passenger who refuses to obey safety rules or whose behavior has been or may be detrimental to other passengers and/or crew. In the unlikely event of a cancellation of a train, refunds will be issued less any ticketing fees, or passengers will be offered the opportunity to re-book for another train at full-value.
Silver Sleigh Flyer (Santa Trains) and Special Events
- Please wear sturdy, comfortable shoes – do not wear flip-flops, sandals, open-toed or high-heel shoes. Cars are not ADA-compliant due to their historic nature, however most passengers with limited mobility can be accommodated with advance planning. Please contact our Stationmaster at Arkville at email@example.com or (845) 586-3877 with any questions, on how we can accommodate your visits
- Santa Trains run rain, snow or shine.
- We will make every effort to operate our trains in inclement weather.
- Train rides may be subject to delays, as the result of inclement weather, which may occur in the Catskill Mountains. Your ticket is redeemable for a trip with Santa and does not necessarily guarantee a trip on a moving train, but does guarantee a visit with Santa aboard a train if the train is momentarily out-of-service due to mechanical delays or weather conditions.
Consent to Photography and Video Recording
- By entering Delaware & Ulster Railroad property or participating in Delaware & Ulster Railroad events, operations and excursions and by your presence here, you consent to be photographed, filmed and/or otherwise recorded. Your entry constitutes your consent to such photography, filming and/or recording and to any use, in any and all media throughout the universe in perpetuity, of your appearance, voice and name for any purpose whatsoever in connection with the Delaware & Ulster Railroad. You understand that all photography, filming and/or recording will be done in reliance on this consent given by you by entering this area.
- Your support and participation are greatly appreciated.